Creative Writing Prompts
For writers-of-the-future and for anyone who loves to make up stories, welcome to our Summer 2021 Creative Writing Prompt page! We'll be adding new prompts each week this summer and you can download/print a PDF for each prompt.
Here's how it works: We give a nugget of an idea, something super simple - but enough to spark the imagination. It's up to kids to then take that nugget and twist it into something fabulous - a story. Any story. Their story.
For the most part we've kept the design of the printable pretty neutral, but there's enough of a border that kids can add their unique artistic stamp if they wish.
The prompts are inspired by scenarios found in What's the Story: Put Your Creative Thinking Skills to the Test, along with other books in our lineup.
List of Prompts
- Prompt #1: The fearsome beast
- Prompt #2: The day donuts fell from the sky | (alt colourful PDF)
- Prompt #3: Not all heroes wear capes
- Prompt #4: Quicksand!
- Prompt #5: The Laziest Child on Earth
- Prompt #6: A character turns on the light - and screams!
- Prompt #7: A character ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time
- Prompt #8: Something's happening at the pet shop
- Prompt #9: A most unusual frog
- Prompt #10: It's a snake pit!
- Prompt #11: What is that smell?!