hey you, WRITE: fiction edition
Save when you buy this book in our Creative Thinking Pack, which comes with Free Shipping in Canada!
✋ NOTE: This book includes a white coil at the side, so it lies perfectly flat when using. Image will be updated with photography as soon as possible.
This simple journal-like book is not about teaching young people how to write, it's about getting them to write - and to use their brain in true Furious Think fashion.
- This book requires imaginative problem-solving, cause & effect thinking, strategy, and what-if style brainstorming.
- It inspires reflection, curiosity, cleverness and creative risk-taking.
- It also encourages empathy because you're always putting yourself in your characters' shoes.
- (Oh, and it provides a screen-free escape from the realities of the day. Yay!)
How it works:
- Hey You, Write accompanies our mini-book Tales of Everything: Summon Your Knowledge of Movies, Shows & Books - but you don't need that book to do this one.
- We've chosen 30 themes and ideas from the Tales of Everything mini, and from those themes you create your own stories.
- The pages come in a series of four: a grid page that tells you your theme and allows you to think about the kind of story you will write. (Grid elements are defined in the intro pages of the book.)
- Following the grid page are three lined pages for which to tell your story (or a scene from a larger story that you've imagined).
- Some themes are straightforward, and you may realize right away how to create a story that expresses them. But other themes will require you to really think.
Samples of other themes/ideas are:
- A character attends a new school.
- A fearsome or hideous character secretly has a heart of gold.
- A character faces a dilemma that is a lose-lose situation.
- Creepy crawlies are everywhere.
In the middle of the book you'll also find 10 pages that feature simple writing prompts for creating a one-page (or as we call it - a bite-sized) story.
>> Visit our Tales of Everything book description to learn more about the mini Hey you, Write is based on!
Age range: It's largely dependent on the individual. We would put the minimum age at around 9.
Pages: 135 | Dimensions: 6.5" x 9" (spiral bound)
ISBN: 978-1-9991304-7-3 | Published: 2020, Toronto; updated 2021
Cover: soft cover; uncoated cover stock
This book is 100% recyclable and made with FSC-certified paper.
**PLEASE allow any delivery delays due to COVID-19.
For customers in Canada:
- Your order ships FOR Free when you spend $50 or more
- For orders between $10 and $50, there is a $6.95 shipping fee.
- For single items under $10, there is an $8 shipping fee.
Your order will be delivered between 2 & 8 business days after placing it, (possibly longer for more rural areas). You will receive a tracking number. Your package will be delivered by Canada Post.
For customers in the U.S.:
There is $8.95 CAD (approx $7 USD) shipping fee on all orders going to the U.S. Orders should be received within 8-10 business days and will be delivered by USPS. Please allow for any unforeseen delays at the border or due to COVID-19.